27 March 2006

It's a wrap

The morning of the 30k started with fairly cool (20F) temps and cloudy skies, with a little icy precip falling intermittently. Also I'm betting about 6 inches of snow fell the night before, because the stadium had a bunch of new snow. I got in a decent warmup, and considered adding a layer underneath my suit. I've done ski races for years, and the question of how much to wear in certian conditions is not easy. You do NOT want to be too warm (almost as bad as being too cold). I figured since the clouds seemed to be lifting a bit, it wasn't going to get colder so I went w/ one layer.

The race started FAST, as all of the races have this weekend. I caught on to the lead pack just after the start. It was super fun skiing up there, and I was telling myself to RELAX, because when the hills came, the pace was sure to change. I managed to hang on until the significant climbs were starting. I think at that time Patrick (former olympian - and Subaru Factory team skier) took the lead and then the pack started to get blown apart. I was one of the victims of that attack. The new snow caused a soft track, and the 2nd lap was TOUGH.


Photo of caped skier from west yellowstone rendevous

I was passed by a guy wearing a cape. (Yea a freakin cape) and later learned he bumped me off the podium in the M1 class!! One of the crazier things happened right after the caped skier passed me. There was a group of 4 women cheering and as we went by, they lifted their jackets to their bare breasts. There was writing on their chests, but I couldn't make it out, as I was suffering on this very difficult part of the course, I had to do a double take, and by the time I did the double take it was over. Here's to hoping that group is cheering at more central oregon nordic events in the future!! Idahoe Joe (my rival from the previous 2 races) had a great race, he was smoking today that's for sure. I skied as hard as I could to the line, and am ready for one more ski race next weekend (John Craig 20k classic in sisters), and then hopefully some bike racing. We'll see how the next couple weeks go. I have all kinds of motivation to train all summer to improve my skiing for next winter. (I found a photo of the caped skier at the west yellowstone rendevous)

C Ya.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I may just have to start ski racing more often if bare breasted cheering chicks are the norm! Great job over the weekend, buddy. Now will you go running with CK and me?
Sean