29 April 2006

hee-moe-chro-ma-toe-sis

You know, that picture of Chris Horner on the previous post is so awesome I'm putting it in this post too.


So, basically the treatment plan will be weekly phlebotomies starting June 5th. I don't like the sound of that word, so I'm going with blood dropping (since it is basically just like blood doping except the pints will not be added back into my body). I talked with the doc, and he basically agreed that because I'm young, my liver tests out fine, I have no symptoms of related to hemochomatosis, that it would be OK to delay the treatments one month. I'm not really looking forward to sitting in the 'infusion center' in the oncology section of the Bend Memorial Clinic, and dropping a pint of blood per week until further notice. It could take up to 30, 40 even 50 weeks. If my math is right that could be a year. Might as well git er done, because when I start this, I'm not stopping. After the initial treatment of 1 drop per week, we'll be on a more manageable maintenance schedule that will include only about 2-6 blood donations per year.

It's actually possible that my HGB (hemoglobin) and HCT (hematocrit) will actually rise after the first few or several drops. Because of the iron stored in my body I will be able to replace the lost RBCs (red blood cells) faster than the average person. We'll see, I plan to keep a close eye on my numbers.

As for this weekend, there are no competitions, only training. I might just have to get out kayaking, because the PPP is not far off. I've got a 10k run next weekend, and I've added the Cascade chainbreaker to the program the week after that. Then it's the PPP, with an open memorial day weekend, and then the penultimate cat 4 stage race (the Mount Hood Cycling Classic) on June 2-4. After that It's kind of an open book; I'll most certainly be out there training, I'm not yet sure about competition. I'll be at the Big Horn trail run (near Sheridan, WY) running in the 30k, we might take it easy and run with the wife. No matter what it will be a fun road trip and weekend. A few friends of ours are also running events there. The weekend includes a 30k, 50k, 50 mile and 100 mile trail runs. 1 friend is running the 100 (also happens to be the defending champion in the 100 mile race), two are running the 50 miler. Laurie and I are doing the 30k.

I also want to congratulate my mother-in-law Barb, for her one year sobriety anniversary yesterday! Huge props to you Barb.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the part about running with Laurie in Wyoming..........now that sounds like a good idea. bn

Anonymous said...

I like the part about running with Laurie in Wyoming..........now that sounds like a good idea. bn

Anonymous said...

I like the part about running with Laurie in Wyoming..........now that sounds like a good idea. bn

Anonymous said...

I like the part about running with Laurie in Wyoming..........now that sounds like a good idea. bn

Anonymous said...

I like the part about running with Laurie in Wyoming..........now that sounds like a good idea. bn

Anonymous said...

I like the part about running with Laurie in Wyoming..........now that sounds like a good idea. bn

Anonymous said...

next time I'll only click it once